P.O. Box 14137, Sinoville
Pretoria, 0129
+27 (12) 567-6512
+27 82 925 4125
enquiry@stratleader.net

Please leave a comment:

Seems to be true

Marg 24/01/2016
In my experience this method seems to be very true. Recently (half an year ago) I was in a struggle to give up marijuana because it had a plethora of negative effects on my life. Truth be told, there were a lot of positive too, but they kind of became worthless because of the struggles I was going through.

So I had many intentions to stop smoking, most of which were exactly too vague to work. You can't just say "I'm not going to do this anymore." because that intention is not down-to-earth enough to actually work. After many such vague attemps to quit, I said to myself: "Well this isn't working, it's all wishful thinking. I'm simply not determined enough". Then I tried to conceptualize what is it *really* that makes me want to quit marijuana. An example was that I'd often get reclusive while "high", somewhat ignoring friends and family which I didn't like. So I tried actually spending more time with friends and familly without being high, and after realizing that it's doing good to me, like being able to engage with them in a deeper way compared to being high, I started feeling that it's going in a good direction and that there are actual benefits to not smoking.

I made it my practice to seek concrete benefits in giving up certain behaviours, so that I was always gaining more than I was losing, and it worked. I believe it's the same as the "anchoring" mentioned in this article. I was always making plans such as "I'm going to to this but not that, and try to make it this way instead of that way". So I was able to have something to hold on instead of just making vague intentions that go like "I'll cease all bad behaviours in my life".

Anyway, that's my story :) I just wanted to confirm personally that it works.